Led by the Université du vin of Suze-la-Rousse and the ITHQ (Institut de Tourisme et d’Hôtellerie du Québec) the International Sommelier Program is offered to enhance the expertise, critical thinking and service quality of restaurant and wine professionals.
About our Partner the ITHQ : Located in the heart of Montreal, one of the world’s most welcoming cities, the ITHQ is a public school that offers three levels of programs: vocational (DVS), technical (DCS) and university (BA). To train students, the ITHQ relies not only on the expertise of its 100 instructors but also on the contribution of industry specialists and leaders.
An exclusive training program
• A content covering all aspects of the work of a sommelier: winemaking, wine geography, analytical tasting, service, management and marketing.
• A flexible educational approach consisting of lectures, distance courses, internships and bilingual modules. The study trip accross Southern French vineyards is scheduled in 2020.
This part-time program has 7 modules spread out over a minimum of one and a half years .
• The option of completing some modules in the Rhone Valley, in France, or in Montreal.
Who can apply to the International Sommelier program?
All restaurant and wine agency professionals (sommelier, restaurant managers, maîtres d’hôtel, importers, retailers etc.), interested in high-level training.
By completing all the modules, the graduated International Sommelier will:
• be able to evaluate the characteristics aspects of the wine industry using a wide range of knowledge and a comprehensive vision of its origins (analytical tasting, gastronomic culture, etc.)
• master the complex techniques of restaurant wine service.
•understand the characteristics, dynamics and players of the different wine and spirits markets from a commercial standpoint.
Which job opportunities?
Sommelier or Chief sommelier, wine business manager, self-employed wine experts, importers etc.In hotel and restaurant business, in high-end hotel groups, importers, distributors or as self-employed.
Anywhere in the world
Eligibility to the International Sommelier program : personnes majeures (18 ans révolus au premier jour de formation) diplômées en sommellerie ou professionnels du service, du conseil ou du commerce du vin
Language: Courses will be given in English in France, in French in Montréal, Canada.
Location: Université du vin (France) or ITHQ (Montréal, Québec, Canada)
Eligibility to the International Sommelier program : in the attached program
- Tuition fees are fully refundable if students cancel their registration at least 1 month before the first day of the term. Between 1 month and 15 days before the term, tuition fees will be refunded minus a 25% administrative fee ; and before 15 days and the beginning of the class, minus a 50% administrative fee. No refunds will be granted after this date.
- The Université du vin and the ITHQ reserve the right to cancel a course or program due to insufficient enrolment. In such cases, application and tuition fees are refunded.
- Tuition fees include the costs for the course notes and wine samples; however, there are additional costs for books – Please note that living expenses are entirely under the student’s responsibility.
- All amounts are in €uros including French taxes.
- The amounts listed may change without notice.
When to Apply?
Enrolment is available until the last working day before the start of each module, subject to acceptance and validation of fundings.
Regarding the global context, the International Sommelier Program is being rescheduled in Autumn 2020 – we will keep informed. Thank you for your support and for understanding.
Courses’ dates in France : Autunm 2020
Module 1 : Analytical tasting (8 days) – dates to be confirmed
Module 2 : Viti-vinification (4 days) + 35 hours intership on the production side of a winery, merchant company, family estate etc. – dates to be confirmed
Modules 3 : Wine world geography
- Study Trip accross the French vineyards – dates to be confirmed
- French vineyards: classes – dates to be confirmed
- European vineyards – Except France – dates to be confirmed
- World vineyards – except Europe – dates to be confirmed
- other beverages – dates to be confirmed
Module 4 : Food and wine pairings – dates to be confirmed
Module 5 : Elaborate service – dates to be confirmed
Module 6 : Wines and spirits Management & marketing – dates to be confirmed
Module 7 : Internship in a second language- dates to be confirmed
Regarding the global context, the International Sommelier Program is being rescheduled – we will keep informed. Thank you for your support and for understanding.
For any further information and/or to join the program, please download and and fill in the application form attached and contact :
Université du vin
Directrice de l’Université du vin firstname.lastname@example.org
ou Lisa Vanon email@example.com
Coordinateur de la Formation professionnelle ITHQ