The International Expert Sommelier program led by the Université du vin of Suze-la-Rousse is offered to enhance the expertise, critical thinking and service quality of restaurant and wine professionals.
A content covering all aspects of the work of a sommelier: winemaking, wine geography, analytical tasting, service, management and marketing.
A flexible educational approach consisting of lectures, face to face learning, distance-learning courses, internship.
Find here the complete International Sommelier Program for the 2022-2023 session, and join the team!
Who can apply to the International Sommelier program?
All restaurant and wine agency professionals (sommelier, restaurant managers, maîtres d’hôtel, importers, retailers etc.), interested in high-level training.
By completing all the modules, the graduated International Expert Sommelier will:
- be able to evaluate the various aspects of the wine industry using a wide range of knowledge and a comprehensive vision of its origins (analytical tasting, gastronomic culture, etc.)
- master the complex techniques of restaurant wine service.
- understand the characteristics, dynamics and players of the different wines and spirits markets from a commercial standpoint.
In what kind of company?
In hotel and restaurant business, in high-end hotel groups, for importers and distributors or as self-employed.
Anywhere in the world
Language: Courses will be given in English
Location: Université du vin (France)
Eligibility to the International Sommelier program :
- Be at least 18 years of age before the courses begin
- Have intermediate knowledge of oral and written English (Level B2 or equivalent)
You must also have passed one of the following programs or justify a relevant experience:
- Any validated professional Sommelier diploma (Université du vin Sommelier-conseil, Caviste ® diploma, French Mention complémentaire or Brevet professionnel), or from any other country, WSET Level 3 Award in Wines
- or have a relevant experience as wine advisor in restaurant/hotel business, Food & Beverage management, specialized grocery stores etc. and/or Commercial en vins Certificate or have a relevant experience in wine distribution – BtoC (retail, restaurant etc.) and/or BtoB (wholesale, export, distribution etc.)
In all cases, the Université du vin reserves the right to interview candidates to determine whether their experience is sufficient.
Costs : in the detailed program
When to Apply?
Enrolment is available until the last working day before the start of each bloc, subject to acceptance and validation of fundings.
Duration and schedule
- Units 1 and 2 are prerequisites for units 3 to 7 Modules 3 to 7 can be taken individually
- The program includes a total of about 700 hours of training: in-class hours, distance training hours and internships hours
Courses’ dates : online instructions+ face-to-face learning
IMPORTANT : To validate the program registration, each bloc has to be paid upfront. The payment for each bloc will be asked before the distance-learning starts, as well as for the eligibility to access the Université du Vin e-learning platform.
The courses are given Online as well as face to face learning at Université du Vin in Suze la Rousse.
BLOC 1 :
- Unit 1 : ANALYTICAL TASTING
- Unit 2 : WINEMAKING
- Unit 3 : WORLDWIDE WINEGROWING GEOGRAPHY & OTHER BEVERAGES
BLOC 1 Schedules
- ONLINE Instructions start Tuesday May 31st, 2022 until Sunday July 10th, 2022 — then, summer break.
- FACE TO FACE Learning starts at Université du Vin in Suze-la-Rousse, France : from Tuesday, September 6th, 2022 until Wednesday, October 26th 2022
BLOC 2 :
- Unit 4 : FOOD AND WINE PAIRING
- Unit 5 : PRODUCT VALORISATION AND GUEST’S EXPERIENCE
- Unit 6 : MANAGEMENT & MARKETING
- ONLINE Instructions start Monday, january 9th,2023 until Friday, February 3rd, 2023
- FACE TO FACE Learning start at Université du Vin in Suze-la-Rousse: From Tuesday, february 7th, 2023 until Friday, March 3rd 2023
BLOC 3 : INTERNSHIP to complete the program
- UNIT 7 : Internship in an International English speaking Hotel/Restaurant (mandatory).
- UNIT 8 : EDUCTOUR- Field trip (OPTIONAL)
Diplomas awarded :
- Units 1-7 Graduation : INTERNATIONAL SOMMELIER DIPLOMA
- Units 1-8 Graduation : INTERNATIONAL EXPERT SOMMELIER DIPLOMA
Your contacts at the Université du vin – both fluent in French and English
- Lisa VANON firstname.lastname@example.org +33(0)6 74 35 24 72
- Béatrice CHARPENTIER email@example.com +33(0)4 75 97 21 30 / +33(0)4 75 97 21 33